- Frequently commissioned to make special pieces for presentation to visiting Heads of State to Ireland, various Irish Government Department Ministers including Dermot Aherne, Mary Harney and the collection of ex President Mary McAleese.
- In 2016 he was visited by the America PBS programme DESTINATION CRAFT who broadcast the programme in 2017 (watch the clip on my blog on home page).
- Featured on MAKERS, an RTE short series on woodturning made for young audiences in 2015.
- Hosted, for Carlow Arts Festival EIGSE, a Wood Art Collaboration with 22 international and Irish wood artists in June 2013. The finished commission is a 6.5 metre-long wall of wood which showed at the VISUAL arts centre in Carlow for the summer of 2013.
- First Irish turner to have a range of Signature Woodturning Tools, with Hamlet Craft Tools Sheffield, and available in outlets worldwide.
- Selected and participated as the Master Turner in RTE’s series (Sept –Oct 2011) ‘Craft Master’
- Produced Ireland’s first woodturning DVDs on Mastering Woodturning - 2010 Techniques followed in 2011 by Bowl turning, 2014 Sharpening and 2015 Platter project and Dublin Viking Bowl.
- Set up Ireland’s first ‘Woodturning Study Centre’ in 2007 and invites master turners from around the world as well as runs private classes
- Frequently demonstrates and teaches at International symposia and schools in the USA, Norway, Germany, Finland, New Zealand, Australia and England.
- ‘Essence of Ireland award, Showcase Ireland 2009 – presented by President Mary McAleese
- Selected for ‘Stories in the Making’ podcast for YouTube, commissioned by the Crafts Council of Ireland 2009
- Oct 2007-June 2008 – Ecology, Mythology, Technology – Crafts Council of Ireland exhibition in National Craft Gallery, Kilkenny and Farmleigh, Phoenix Park, Dublin
- Oct 2007 – Creations in Wood – 4-man show, Eblana Gallery, Dublin
- Nov 2006 & 2007 - selected for participation in SOFA Sculptural Object Functional Art exhibition, Chicago
- Mar 2005 - Returned to Co Carlow and set up Woodturning Study Centre
- Jan 2005 – Crafts Council of Ireland 3 year international group touring show – 40 Shades of Green
- June 2004 – Fine Forms - 3-man show – Eigse Arts Festival, Carlow
- Nov 2004 – Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show (selection of Irish guest artists)
- Sept 2001 – winner of Limited Editions, CcoI touring show
- April 2001 – VIP magazine promotion in association with Barry’s Tea
- 2001 winner of the Best New Product at Showcase Ireland, presented by President McAleese
- 1999 winner of RDS Forestry Award
- 1999 group exhibition Dressing Table – Olympia London and Celtic Connections Festival Wales
- Selected for tabletop exhibition, V&A London
- 1998 merit award, RDS Forestry Awards
- 1997 Moved to Carlingford, Co Louth and set up workshop there (until 2005)
- Exhibited at Kilkenny Art Week – winner of best wood product
- Frequent Demonstrator for the Irish Woodturners Guild and selected seminars
- Features in Irish interior magazines such as Select Magazine, Image Interiors, House and Home
- Set up business 1995 and 1996 started Business Skills Course with Crafts Council of Ireland in Kilkenny
Study Centre Events
We are proud to regularly host top international woodturners for demonstrations and masterclasses. These events are always enjoyable and very instructive for all abilities.Details & Booking Information →
These are some guest woodturners that we've hosted at the Woodturning Study Centre in recent months.